Ostinato Packet Crafting with GNS3: craft and inject packets
Learn how you can craft packets and inject them into GNS3 networks using GNS3!
Ostinato is a packet crafter, network traffic generator and analyzer with a friendly GUI. Also a powerful Python API for network test automation. Craft and send packets of several streams with different protocols at different rates. Think of it as “Wireshark in Reverse”.
Ostinato aims to provide a traffic generator and network tester tool for every network engineer and developer - something not possible today with existing commercial network test equipment. With the right tool, network developers and engineers can do their jobs better and improve the quality of networking products.
- Useful for both network load testing and functional testing
- Use via GUI or Python API
- Create and configure multiple streams
- Configure stream rates, bursts, no. of packets
- Interface level receive/transmit statistics and rates for realtime network monitoring and measurement
- Network Device Emulation (ARP and ICMP) for multiple IP hosts to aid in network traffic simulation
- Support for the most common standard protocols
- Ethernet/802.3/LLC SNAP
- VLAN (with QinQ)
- ARP, IPv4, IPv6, IP-in-IP a.k.a IP Tunnelling (6over4, 4over6, 4over4, 6over6)
- TCP, UDP, ICMPv4, ICMPv6, IGMP, MLD
- Any text based protocol (HTTP, SIP, RTSP, NNTP etc.)
- Set a value for any field of any protocol
- Vary packet fields across packets at run time e.g. changing IP/MAC addresses
- Stack protocols in any arbitrary order to test error cases
- User provided Hex Dump - specify some or all bytes in a packet
- User defined script to substitute for an unimplemented protocol (EXPERIMENTAL)
- Open and edit PCAP files, replay and save back
- One controller, many agents
- Many controllers can share an agent
- Exclusive control of a port to prevent the OS from sending stray packets provides a controlled testing environment (Windows only)
- Capture network traffic (needs Wireshark to view the captured packets)
- Cross-Platform - runs on Windows, Linux, BSD and Mac OS X
- FLOSS - Free, Libre, Open-Source Software
- Framework to add new protocol builders easily
License: Ostinato is open-source software licensed under GNU GPLv3
David Bombal (CCIE #11023 Emeritus) passed his Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Routing and Switching exam in January 2003. David has the highest rated and most popular course in the GNS3 Academy: SDN and OpenFlow Introduction.
David's software tools and training have been downloaded +100,000 times. Many thousands of engineers like you use his tools and training on a regular basis.
David has developed over 20 courses for HP which are used worldwide. These include multiple SDN courses and HP ASE certification courses (4 day Instructor led training).
David's YouTube videos have been viewed +2 million times.
David has been training Cisco and networking courses for 15+ years and has delivered instructor led courses in various countries around the world covering a wide range of Cisco topics from CCNA to CCIE.
He has also personally developed Cisco engineer utilities such as the VPN Config Generator, software, training materials, EBooks, videos and other products which are used throughout the world.
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Packet Generator and GNS3 - download, install and configure (Ostinato Part 1) (9:00)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Packet Generator - what happens to Unknown Unicast traffic (Ostinato Part 2) (3:00)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Packet Generator - Multicast traffic what happens (Ostinato Part 3) (9:04)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Packet Generator - Broadcast traffic What happens (Ostinato Part 4) (6:22)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Packet Generator - Craft packets to hack network devices (Ostinato Part 5) (7:20)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Packet Generator - Inject 802.1Q frames for VLAN hopping (Ostinato Part 6) (8:39)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Packet Generator - double tag 802.1Q frames for VLAN hopping (Ostinato Part 7) (3:14)
StartGNS3 Talks Make your PC the Spanning Tree Root by crafting BPDUs with Ostinato (Ostinato Part 8) (16:40)
StartGNS3 Talks Stop BPDUs from Ostinato breaking STP using STP Root Guard (Ostinato Part 9) (4:17)
StartCCNA #070 Using Ostinato to prove how networks work for the CCNA Exam. Don't be bitten! (7:33)
StartCCNA #071 Using Ostinato to prove how broadcasts work for the CCNA Exam (Part 1) (6:30)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Wireshark Captures Part 1 Capture STP BPDUs & craft own (Ostinato Part 10) (10:25)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Wireshark Captures Part 2 Capture IP Phone CDP messages & craft your own (6:09)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Wireshark Captures Part 3 Capture IP Phone CDP messages & craft your own (7:09)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Wireshark Captures Part 4 Generate packets with COS and DSCP settings (6:14)
StartGNS3 Talks Ostinato Wireshark Captures Part 5 Capture and generate GNS3 switch CDP (4:23)